Monday, February 25, 2008

On Report

No, it's not Double-Secret Probation (I got off of that last week!). I'm talking about debreifing after my experience with this program.

Coming in, I figured that I'd better dig in and work through the list of tasks, so that I could help anyone else on staff if they came to me with a question. Also, I figured that it would be an easy way to get free stuff (and I'm a total bottom feeder, I'll take the swag every time). I figured that I would have done most of the things listed already, and I'd just have to jump through a few hoops to get my free merch.

And, to some extent, that was true. I had been running blogs for a while, had a Myspace account, and was otherwise pretty clued in on many of the basics that make up Web 2.0. That said, there were all sorts of sites that I encountered as a result of this program that I would not have known about otherwise. They just lay outside my normal areas of interest, and I would have been ignorant of them without being pushed to go and see.

The web is a big place, and it's always a mistake to think that you really know your way around. That said, I think this is a good course, even for people who are fairly savvy. For the staffers who don't get as much time to noodle around with computers, I'm sure the course will be a bit more challenging, but they'll also be learning at a higher curve, since much of this information will be new to them.

I think that it's a great learning experience, and I hope that it is as positive for others as it has been for me. The little prizes are a great incentive, and I think the money spent on them will prove to be well-spent.

And those are my thoughts at this hour.

No comments: