Friday, February 8, 2008

In the Lab-oratory

Google Labs products are just beta versions of the products they'll one day put "in the public eye". In my experience, though Labs services may still be in a formative stage comparative to other services, they still work pretty well. I've been using Google Page Creator for over a year, and I've been very happy with it. It lets you set up a free website and populate it with a simple methodology. I'm lazy by nature, so if I can do stuff without learning a lot of new mumbo-jumbo (as opposed to the old mumbo-jumbo, that I sort of still remember), I'll do it. I'm more of a "content" guy, really. I'd rather spend most of my time populating a website, rather than tweaking and fiddling under the hood.

I started a newer website recently, but since there are things that I can do with the Google Page Creator that the new site doesn't provide for, some of my secondary pages are still hosted through my old web site. It works out fine, linking from one site to another. Things are good. Plus, upolading files to the Google site is much more straightforward than with my new one. Really, unless you need to represent yourself professionally, the Google Page Creator product should be more than sufficient to your purpose. I recommend it.

It should be noted that most of the established products, like Google Docs and Spreadsheets and the new version of Blogger, started life in the Google Labs segment. Many of them are already mature enough technologies to allow you enjoy them, even though they're not hyped to the wider audience. For those of you who have been following along, I like Google and all they do, pretty much.

No comments: